Being an Evidence Based practice, we are working hard to change opinions about Chiropractic and how we manage patients with Chronic Pain.
An new initiative has taken place internationally and now in Australia, termed ‘Choosing Wisely’ which involves educating patients on what is considered ‘best practice’ for their complaints. In America, the American Chiropractic Association has joined this campaign and has advocated the following guidelines for low back pain:
ACA’s list features the following five recommendations:
- In the absence of red flags, do not obtain spinal imaging (X-rays) for patients with acute low-back pain during the six weeks after the onset of pain.
- Do not perform repeat spinal imaging to monitor patients’ progress.
- Avoid prolonged or ongoing use of passive or palliative physical therapy treatments (such as heat, cold, electrical stimulation and ultrasound) for low-back pain unless they support the goal(s) of an active treatment plan.
- Do not provide long-term pain management without psychosocial screening or assessment for possible related psychological disorders, most notably depression and anxiety.
- Do not prescribe lumbar supports or braces for the long-term treatment or prevention of low-back pain
At Trigg Chiropractic, we do not require xrays unless medically necessary and we certainly don’t use x-rays to scare our patients into receiving regular Chiropractic Care. In fact, as per the evidence guidelines, we recommend active care for our patients as soon as possible along with regular soft tissue therapy. We have close connections with local hydrotherapy, reformer pilates and personal trainers who can assist you on your quest for getting your body strong. Our Chiropractors can recommend the type of exercise that will be beneficial for you based on your complaint.
Call today for a comprehensive assessment with one our evidence based Chiropractors in Trigg, Scarborough or Karrinyup. We are located just on Lynn Street, Trigg central to Duncraig and Carine. Our office number is 9203 8313 or email email@example.com for more information.